Saturday 17 May 2014

Television

As far as story telling goes, books are my medium of choice but to be honest, I will consume stories in any and all mediums I can find. I love them all and they all have their merits. I am a big fan of television. I love the flexibility of the medium and the way it lets you really get to know the characters. I just wanted to take the time to recommend some shows I've been watching recently.



1. Fargo is a brand new American drama that started this year. I believe it's only going to run for 10 episodes all up and I've only seen the first 3 so far but it is GOOD. As you may have picked up, the show is based on the 1996 movie of the same name. The show is set in the same universe as the film but doesn't follow the same plot or include the same characters. The humour; however, is just as dark and messed up as the movie and for that I am entirely grateful. The cast is what drew me in since it stars Martin Freeman and the always lovely Colin Hanks but it's the writing that has me hooked. I can't wait to see how this twisted and really rather violent story will unfold. I'm assuming it won't involve a wood chipper this time around but you never can tell.

2. QI is a quiz show I've been addicted to for years. Hosted by the ever wonderful Stephen Fry with regular guest Alan Davies and a string of other wonderful people coming and going it's no wonder why. I've seen every episode of this show so far mutiple times and whenever Morgan and I don't know what we're in the mood to watch this is one of the things we reach for first. If for some reason you haven't checked out this hilarious and really Quite Interesting (do you see what I did there?) show then I highly encourage you to do so.

3. Absolutely Fabulous is one of the most ridiculous and infuriating shows I've ever seen and I love it. After reading Jennifer Saunders memoir, Bonkers, recently I was in the mood for a rewatch. Currently in the middle of season 3 and Eddie and Patsy constantly make me crazy with their bullshit but it's a good kind of crazy. They are so hilariously alien that you can't help but laugh (even if it is sometimes with frustration).

4. Mad Men. The final season of this wonderful period drama is currently airing and I definitely have mixed feelings about it coming to an end. I'm curious to see what's going to happen and am sad there won't be anymore in a few short weeks but I'm excited to go back to the start and rewatch from the beginning once it's all over. The characters have come quite a way in the seven season's that it's been on tv and watching them from the start, knowing where it is each one of them ends up will be a completely separate experience. If you haven't tried Mad Men, definitely give it a go. Many of the characters are selfish and unlikable but something about it draws you in and makes you care or at the very least makes you interested to see what will happen next.

What shows have you been watching recently?

- Lesley
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment